In the context of the forest products industry, responsible wood sourcing (purchasing) refers to a buyer’s adoption of policies and practices that reward suppliers using wood and fiber from well-managed forests or from recycled products and discourage suppliers using wood from unknown, illegal or otherwise controversial sources.
The business case for responsible purchasing begins with the need to sustain raw material supplies and extends to satisfying the ethical concerns of consumers, shareholders and employees. Responsible purchasing is the means by which a company can distance itself from the problems of illegal logging and forest destruction, while helping to create a forest products industry that helps conserve valuable forests, respects the interests of local communities and workers and does not run down its resource base.
GFTN Guide to Legal and Responsible Sourcing
Only a click away, this online resource is a vital and indispensable tool to anyone who purchases forest products, including processors, importers, manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers.
Features of this interactive tool include:
- Comprehensive and integrated advice from GFTN’s Guide to Responsible Purchasing of Forest Products and Keep It Legal manual
- Set of national indicators and verifiers for legality—GFTN’s Common Legality Framework—which is comprised of several broad principles of legality, each supported by individual criteria and indicators linking the principle to existing legislation
- New guidance on addressing legality in major timber producing and exporting countries—with a particular focus on developing countries with high biodiversity forests where illegal logging and trade are known to be a significant concern
- Ability to print and bookmark specific sections of interest and search a number of key terms, enabling the user to both easily access the overall concepts and drill deeper on specific issues
- Instant access other online resources, offering a greater depth to the understanding of aspects of responsible purchasing of forest products