GFTN Factsheet - January 2012BACKGROUND
Theoretically, there is enough wood in the world's forests to supply global wood requirements. An analysis carried out by WWF and the World Bank in 2001 indicated that by sustainably managing 60% of the world’s forests, at different levels of intensity and for different purposes, we could protect the remaining 40%.
WHAT: GLOBAL FOREST & TRADE NETWORK
The Global Forest & Trade Network (GFTN) is WWF’s initiative to eliminate illegal logging and transform the global market place into a force for saving the world’s valuable and threatened forests. GFTN aims to mainstream the principles of responsible forest management and trade as a standard practice throughout the global forest products industry by providing technical assistance, partnership and trade opportunities with committed companies. GFTN considers independent, multi-stakeholder-based forest certification as a vital tool in this process.
WHY: GFTN ENGAGES INDUSTRY FOR FOREST CONSERVATION
WWF believes that by engaging corporations in challenging and innovative partnerships, companies can not only contribute to the sustainability of the planet, but to their own business viability and success. Through GFTN, WWF works with the forest products industry to help it change the way it does business. GFTN encourages trade links between companies committed to achieving responsible forestry and trade, endeavouring to create the market conditions that support forest conservation while providing economic and social benefits for the businesses and people that depend on them.
HOW: GFTN’S STEPWISE APPROACH
The GFTN provides a framework for companies; a proven “stepwise approach” which allows companies to develop forest management plans outlining the various steps needed, for achieving credible certification within an agreed timeframe. GFTN also helps companies phase out products from unwanted timber sources and increase those of certified sources via this stepwise approach. WWF staff provides local on the ground support to ensure partner companies continuously improve their business practices.
WHERE: GFTN ACROSS THE GLOBE
Located across 34 countries, GFTN engages with companies committed to responsible forest management and trade around the world.
• GFTN works with 270+ companies employing over 1.4 million people
• GFTN participants support 760 local families in community operations
• GFTN participants manage 21.6 million hectares of credibly certified forests and further manage 5.1 million hectares in progress to certification
• GFTN participants are responsible for 14% of the global total of FSC certified forest area
• GFTN participants sell $69 billion in forest product annually or an estimated 18% of the global total of forest products traded per year
• GFTN participants trade 12% of the global harvest of industrial round wood (logs)
• GFTN participants engage in 231 trade deals with other GFTN participants worth over 111 million dollars
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Visit the GFTN Website at www.gftn.panda.org Or contact at firstname.lastname@example.org